Cat’s are vocal creatures and their vocabulary includes everything from the quiet meow, to the chirrup or chatter, to the more insistent, excessive meow. As cat guardians, it’s our job to understand what they’re trying to say.
Sometimes the message is obvious (especially if it’s accompanied by a angry thrashing tail), but wouldn’t it be nice if our cats could talk to us directly and tell us what’s on their mind, even if it was just for one day of the year.
Someone, somewhere, some time ago agreed and today we’re celebrating National Answer Your Cat’s Questions Day.
10 Questions With Amber
Amber sits alongside me with her first question ready . . .
1. Why do you spend so much time wiggling your fingers on those little white squares and staring at the big bright screen?
It’s called a computer and mama is typing. This is how I share information about cat health, cat behaviour and living with cats so that everyone around the world can read it. It’s also how they know about you, and how pretty you are.
2. Am I pretty mama? Really, am I pretty? Prettier than Ava?
Ava is a pretty girl too, but you’re a girly-girl and very sweet.
3. What’s a girly-girl mama?
A girly-girl likes having her fur brushed at night, her eyes cleaned, and her nails nicely manicured every few weeks. She also enjoys the occasional bath and the sweet smell of organic kitten shampoo.
Ava enters the room.
“Come on Amber, stop your squeaking about day spa pampering. Ask the real questions.”
4. Mama, did you distract me to avoid answering the big questions.
Umm . . . yes. Sorry. Ask away.
5. Why don’t you like the special gifts I bring you?
Amber, they’re cockroaches – not many humans like them. Although, I do appreciate the skill it requires to dismember them before leaving the remains in my slippers.
6. Why do you say I sound like someone stood on the dog’s squeaky toy when I meow? We don’t have a dog.
That’s true. But if we did have one, and he had a squeaky toy it would sound like you when you meow. Readers: What’s your verdict on Amber’s meow? Hit play above to listen.
7. Why do you eat chocolate and special treats and yet restrict how many biscuits I’m allowed? It’s not very fair.
Life isn’t always fair Amber. Even though you eat a grain-free quality kibble, its not good for you to have too many biscuits, too often. You eat two hearty raw meals a day, so you’re not really hungry.
8. You eat three hearty meals a day, so you don’t need treats either.
I can’t argue with that one.
9. Why do you always cuddle me, after you spray that ‘stinky stuff’ on yourself every morning. It makes me sneeze.
It’s called perfume Amber, and it’s not stinky. I’m sorry it makes you sneeze. I’ll cuddle you before I spray it on in future.
10. Walking on my leash in the garden is one of my favourite things. Why can’t we do it every day?
I wish we could walk outside more often too, but mama has to go to work so she can put cat food on the table and it’s hard to find time during the week. It gets dark here so early.
Did you have any more questions for me Amber?
Just one. Is it dinner time yet?
What questions will your cats be asking you today, and how will you respond?