Despite being domesticated as pets, cats are natural hunters and obligate carnivores — a raw food diet is probably the closest to what they’d actually eat in the wild.
Raw feeding is a controversial topic and it’s not for everyone, but for us, switching to a raw food diet has made a huge difference to our cats overall health and wellbeing.
Our best advice if you’re considering raw feeding is to do your research – read everything you can get your hands on, join groups and forums dedicated to raw feeding and talk to people who currently feed their pets a raw food diet.
Got Questions on Raw Feeding Cats?
The articles below will answer some of the initial questions you have about raw feeding. You can also refer to our Raw Feeding archives for more information.
- Balanced Raw Cat Food Recipe + Supplements — The balanced raw cat food recipe we feed our cats, including how to make the vitamin supplement mix; options for freeze dried bone or eggshells for calcium.
- Is it Safe for Cats to Eat Raw Meat? — We discuss safe handling procedures for raw meat and common safety concerns with raw feeding so you can be assured it is safe for your cats to eat raw meat.
- Commercial Versus Homemade Raw Food Diets for Cats — We discuss pre-packaged commercial raw food diets versus homemade raw food diets for cats including grinding, frankenprey and whole prey models.
- How to Transition Your Cat to a Raw Food Diet — A raw food diet has many benefits for cats. We outline four stages to successfully transition your cat from the 24/7 kibble buffet to a raw food diet.
- How Much Raw Food Should I Feed My Cat? — Are you unsure how much raw food to feed your cat? Check out our raw feeding guides based on 2-4% of your cat’s bodyweight.
- The Real Cost of Feeding a Raw Food Diet — Does a raw food diet for cats really cost a small fortune? We share the food we buy and how much it costs per meal and per day for each cat.
- The Benefits of a Raw Food Diet for Cats — Feeding your cat a raw food diet allows them to eat the way nature intended it also results in improved digestion, more energy and other benefits.
- Raw Cat Food Supplement — EZComplete Fur Cats — EZComplete is a raw cat food premix designed to make it easy for you to feed your cat a complete and balanced diet based on the raw feeding prey model.